couple of weeks I have had two sewing projects. One took a few days, the curtains for the sitting room, and the other was mostly finished in a day thanks to my sister in law taking care of daily stuff and letting me sew.
I got my inspiration from some satin dresses, I had pinned on pintrest. The bigger one was a combination of a few dresses, the bow was inspired by this. And I had wanted to try making a bubble hem. So they were a combination of these features.
The dresses had to be lined to create, the bubble hem, which involves making a shorter much less gathered skirt underneath and attatching the outer skirt hem to it which then gathers it and lifts up the hem to create this ‘bubble’ effect. It was a little fiddly and I should have made the under skirt a little shorter then i did, but all in all I was quite pleased with my attempt, masha’allah.
I actually had more trouble with the bodice, which came out too big. It meant pulling the sleeves off and getting the scissors out to adjust the shoulders and the waist. the belt also helped to pull it in! I didn’t want a really close fit because it would have been too hot, and hopefully the cotton lined bodice will help with that too! I’m planning to re-service these at eid, and we have a couple of weddings in the summer insha’allah. DD10 loved the dress, despite her misgivings at me sewing for her (she has reached that age already!). So that made me really happy 🙂
The dress for my almost 3 year old was a much simpler deal! Simple basic bodice like the other one and alhamdulileh it was a great fit so it sewed up really quickly. It has a simple belt attached at the side seams and tied into a big bow at the back. I wanted them similar, but not exactly the same. And she being much easier to please, loved it too!
This is a view of the back. I don’t have a photo of her in the dress without the bride, which of course, I can’t post here due to Hijab restrictions! But she of course, of course, looked absolutely beautiful in her blue kaftan, Masha’allah.
This is it in the shop.
The other projects were the curtains in the salon. We bought one set of curtains which were on display in the shop. It was the last one. Dh loved the fabric and I figured we could get that and split it into two for our sitting room windows as it was pretty wide and doubled up in two tones.
I literally had to unpick the whole thing, scale it down and split it into two. But i was pretty pleased with the results masha’allah. Here they are.
They are a little dark , I should have took the photos at night, they would have shown much better. But you get the idea!!! We bought the new covers and cushions for the arab style seating. Not really my taste though I love the blue!
And finally I made new covers for all the cushions after having our sofa’s refurbished in our family sitting room, and edged the remaining fabric to cover the ‘canopy’ to match.
And after all of that, I would have thought I would be sick of the sight of the sewing machine, but no, I have a few new projects in mind! Watch this space (though I have to get my house back in order first!).